An amazing, spicy side to chicken or meat dishes, or as an antipasti. If i want a vegetarian main I pair the carrots with pan fried halloumi and a green salad. Swap out the butter with more olive oil and the creme fraiche for a plant based alternative for a vegan version.
- 1 tsp gochujang
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp whole cumin seeds
- 300 g carrots
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp crème fraîche
- 1 handful fresh dill
- 1 pinch chili flakes
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C, fan.
- Stir together gochujang, 1 tsp olive oil, sugar, vinegar, lemon juice and cumin seeds in a little bowl
- Peel the carrots and half them lenghtwise. Arrange them side by side in an over proof frying pan (or start off in a normal frying pan, then transfer them to an oven proof dish for the next step). Pour the marinade into the pan and add water until the carrots are half way covered. Add a little salt and pepper. Add 1 tbsp of butter and a garlic clove (crush it slightly with the side of a knife) to the pan.
- Cut a circle of parchment paper so that it covers the carrots and make a small hole in the center of the circle (about a millimeter or two) and arrange it on top of the pan. Let the carrots simmer on medium/low heat on the stove top for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the parchment paper. Use a spoon to baste the carrots with some of the liquid. Add the pan to the oven (without the parchment paper) and let the carrots roast for about 15 minutes. Make sure that they don`t burn and add a little more water if needed. Remove the pan from the oven when the carrots are soft and have a nice colour.
- Remember to "deglaze" the pan after the carrots has been removed. This is done by adding a little water to the pan while it simmers on low heat. Use a spatula to scrape off the "flavour" that are stuck to the pan. This is your sauce!
- Serve the carrots with creme fraiche, the pan juices, fresh dill and maybe a pinch of chili flakes.